Portraits of Elderly Animals ~ by Photographer Isa Leshko





Artist statement by Isa Leshko
I am traveling to sanctuaries across the country to photograph animals that are elderly or at the end stage of their lives. I began this series after I spent a year caring for my mother who has Alzheimer’s disease. I am taking these pictures to gain a deeper understanding about what it means to be mortal and to exorcise my fears of aging. I have come to realize that these images are self-portraits, or at the very least, they are manifestations of my fears and hopes about what I will be like when I am old.


Phyllis, Southdown Sheep, Age 13




Capuchin Monkey, Age 30+




"Looking at mortality and aging, that's not easy subject material. Some of the subjects do seem sad and tired, some of them are downright defiant and stare down the camera. I think these images are testaments to survival and endurance, and finding meaning and joy in life in the face of physical limitations and challenges." ~ Leshko




Violet, Potbellied Pig, Age 12


 Handsome One, Thoroughbred Horse, Age 33



 Blue, Australian Kelpie, Age 19


 Pumpkin, Morgan Arabian Horse, Age 28







Kelly, Irish Wolfhound, Age 11
You have read this article behind the scenes / black and white / Fine ARt / hasselblad / Isa Leshko / location shoot / Medium Format / Portraits of Elderly Animals with the title Portraits of Elderly Animals ~ by Photographer Isa Leshko. You can bookmark this page URL http://nikiinwonderland.blogspot.com/2012/01/portraits-of-elderly-animals-by.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...